On 8th May 2018 the University of Pavia will publish on the University of Pavia web page Dottorati di Ricerca an online call for applications for all PhD Programmes active at the University from 1st October 2018, including the PhD Programme in Translational Medicine. Interested applicants will find a form that can be reached from this web page that candidates must complete and submit online before 5.00 pm central European Summer Time (CEST) of 13th June 2018 in order to be admitted to the selection procedure.
The selection procedure for the assignment of the 10 PhD studentships in Translational Medicine involves two stages: a written paper and an oral examination, both of which are required. The written and oral examinations will be sat in Pavia around the middle of July 2018.
Candidates will be offered 2 research topics for the written paper, a basic research topic and a clinical research one, drawn from the total of 24 topics listed below. Candidates may choose whether to write their essay on the basic research topic or the clinical one. They may further choose to write their essay in the Italian or English.
Basic research topics:
1. Regulation of gene expression, 2. Structure/Function in proteins. 3. Protein homeostasis, folding and aggregation, 4. Membrane transport, 5. Mitochondrial function and dysfunction, 6. Intercellular communication, 7. Cell death, 8. Stem cells, 9. The cell biology of cancer, 10. The biology of ageing, 11. Mechanisms of immunity, 12. Whole body homeostasis.
Clinical research topics:
1. Mendelian diseases, 2. Epigenetics, 3. Cancer genetics, 4. Signalling in development and cancer, 5. Nanomedicine, 6. Next generation sequencing, 7.Host-virus relationship and antiviral therapy, 8. Immune response to pathogens, 9. Brain ageing and neurodegeneration, 10. Neurohormonal regulation of the circulation, 11. Atherosclerosis and thrombosis, 12. Gastrointestinal inflammation and cancer
Oral examinations will be sat in Pavia around the middle of July. Alternatively, candidates may sit the oral examination by videoconference (skype, etc). In order to do so, candidates should rquest this option in their application form. Oral examinations will focus on one or more of the basic research and/or clinical research topics listed above under Written Paper.
During the oral interview, candidates will have the opportunity to express a maximum of three preferences among the list of projects offered by the PhD supervisors . These preferences will be taken into account to assign research projects to candidates qualifying for a PhD position.
Scores and Ranking
The examination Committee will assess candidates according to the following scheme:
(i) A maximum of 10 points will be assigned to candidates based on academic records.
– Up to 5 points for the for the marks secured during the candidate’s BA and MSc Courses,
– Up to 3 points for the overall academic work, curricular and extracurricular, as outlined in the curriculum vitae et studiorum of the candidate
– Up to 1 points for a maximum of 2 letters of support submitted online by course lecturers or other academics familiar with the candidate’s work as part of the application procedure before 5.00 pm CEST on 13th June 2018.
– Up to 1 point for any publication authored by the candidate in the last 5 and relevant to the topics listed above under Written Paper.
(ii) A maximum of 30 points will be assigned to candidates for their written paper.
Only candidates scoring more than 21 marks in their written paper will be admitted to the oral examination
(iii) A maximum of 30 points will be assigned to candidates for their oral examination.
Only candidates scoring more than 21 marks in the oral examination will be included in the final ranking and awards.
Studentships and Projects
A total of 10 PhD studentships are on offer for the PhD Programme in Translational Medicine for the academic year 2018/19. The first 8 studentships are general ones funded by the University of Pavia, while 2 phD studentships are funded by an external grant and the last 2 phD studentships aren’t funded.